Cornwall-Lebanon School District supports the education of homeless youth as required by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act and the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 which defines the term homeless children and youth to mean individuals who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence and those who are awaiting foster care placement.
Who may be considered homeless?
Children or youth living in a shelter, transitional housing, motel, vehicle, campground, on the street or doubled up due to lack of housing.
Homeless Student Resources (McKinney-Vento Act 42)
The Cornwall-Lebanon School District believes that homeless youth should have access to free and appropriate public education and wishes to limit the barriers that homeless children may face. Our goal is to have the educational process continue as uninterrupted as possible while children are in homeless situations.
Homeless students are defined as individuals lacking a fixed, regular and nighttime residence, which include students living under the following conditions:
- Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to lack of adequate alternative accommodations.
- Living in emergency, transitional or domestic violence shelters.
- Abandoned in hospitals.
- Living in public or private places not designated for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings.
- Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, transportation stations or similar settings.
- Living as migratory children in conditions described in previous examples.
- Living as run-away children.
- Being abandoned or forced out of homes by parents/guardians or caretakers.
- Living as school age unwed mothers in houses for unwed mothers if they have no other living accommodations.
If you have any questions, please contact the CLSD Homeless Liaison, Dr. John Shaffer, at email@example.com or 717-272-2031.
- SchoolHouse Connection
- McKinney-Vento Act: Quick Reference – SchoolHouse Connection
- PA Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness (ECYEH)
- Impact of Homelessness
- PA’s ECYEH Program
- Professional Development
- Education of Homeless Youth ~ Basic Education Center
- PBS Newshour Video
- ECYEH Training Videos
- Determining McKinney-Vento Eligibility
- McKinney-Vento Information Flyer
- Lebanon Rescue Mission
- CAP Office of Lebanon County
- Lebanon County Christian Ministries
- PA 211 – Get Connected – United Way
- Lebanon County Assistance Office
- No Wrong Door – Community Resource Guide for Lebanon County
- Lebanon Family Health Services
- Lebanon County Head Start/Early Head Start – Lebanon-IU 13
- Lebanon County MH/ID/EI Program
- Dispute Resolution Process
- Cornwall-Lebanon Federal Programs – Title I Information
- Cornwall-Lebanon – Free and Reduced Meals Information
CLSD Family Engagement Information